- Advertising Code (Ad Code)
- Complaint Review Process
- Complaint Submission
- Digital Marketing Guidelines (PDF)
Revised Code of Advertising StandardsWine Institute's Code of Advertising Standards was revised and adopted in June of 2011. Major changes to the code include the following:
- Applies to All Wine Institute Members — The Code requires all Wine Institute members to comply.
- Advertising Review Committee and Appeals Process — Advertising complaints will be reviewed using a two-state review procedure.
- Age of Models — All models and personalities who are being depicted as wine consumers should appear to be over the legal drinking age and be at least 25 years of age.
- College Campuses — Advertising in newspapers published by, or primarily for, a college or university is prohibited.
- Sports and Entertainment Figures — New provisions will permit the use of sports figures and entertainment celebrities, which can be substantiated by research demonstrating that the figure does not appeal to underage consumers.
- Web Site Recommendations — Age Affirmation and Age Verification mechanisms on web sites are encouraged.
Effective January 1, 2014, Wine Institute added new Digital Marketing Guidelines as an extension of the Code of Advertising Standards. The Digital Marketing Guidelines consists of a number of recommendations and best practices intended to guide wineries as they engage users on social media websites and other interactive platforms.