Revised Code of Advertising StandardsWine Institute's Code of Advertising Standards was revised and adopted in June of 2011. Major changes to the code include the following:
- Applies to All Wine Institute Members — The Code requires all Wine Institute members to comply.
- Advertising Review Committee and Appeals Process — Advertising complaints will be reviewed using a two-state review procedure.
- Age of Models — All models and personalities who are being depicted as wine consumers should appear to be over the legal drinking age and be at least 25 years of age.
- College Campuses — Advertising in newspapers published by, or primarily for, a college or university is prohibited.
- Sports and Entertainment Figures — New provisions will permit the use of sports figures and entertainment celebrities, which can be substantiated by research demonstrating that the figure does not appeal to underage consumers.
- Web Site Recommendations — Age Affirmation and Age Verification mechanisms on web sites are encouraged.